Sunday, August 10, 2008

Things I have learned...

1. If you are participating in an event that people (ex: cab drivers) might want to watch on TV, there will NOT be any cabs to take you home when that event is over.

2. If you are a Chinese woman between the ages of 20 and 50, and you don't have children with you, chances are that you are wearing heels no matter where you go.

3. If you are a Chinese man, and you are hot and sweaty, it is perfectly acceptable to pull your shirt up to your chest and expose your midsection.

4. Public restrooms for women are a little jarring, as there aren't toilets, just porcelain lined holes in the floor.

5. Chinese concession stands serve things like bread and cake.

6. No one that is working in a hotel after midnight speaks any English.

I am going to go ahead and apologize for not having any photos to post, but I didn't realize I would be going anywhere with an internet cafe and I don't have the card reader. Right now, we are in the Olympic Village. We came to visit with Eric and have been enjoying the comforts of the Village all afternoon. First we had lunch with Eric, the food was awesome!!! Then we just walked around and took some photos. We also got the majority of our Olympic shopping done just now and it started to rain, so we found the internet cafe and came in to wait out the weather.

Ahhh...the weather...The last 2 days have been the hottest and most humid I think that I have ever endured. Ryan says that it's on par with Valdosta, but I am not outside as much as he is, so I wouldn't know.

The Opeing Ceremony was quite possibly (with the exception of the birth of my future children) the single most A-MA-ZING thing that I have ever witnessed. The performances were unbelievable, and our seats were great. It was so HOT, though...I think that the way the staduim is built traps heat rather than letting it out. Still, it was wonderful and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

After the end of the ceremonies, we went out to try and catch a cab, but couldn't find one...We walked around for 2 and a half hours looking. Finally, we went to Eric's girlfriend's hotel thinking that her conceirge could call one for us. He did indeed call one and told us that as long as we could be patient, he would get us one. Forty-five minutes later, he told us that he was sorry, but it would be 6 am before one could come. Then he said, "Good Luck, I am off of work, now." At that point, my lip began to quiver. We were able to cross the street and catch one about 15 minutes later. Still, it was worth it to be a part of Opening Ceremonies.

Yesterday, we went to the Beijing Zoo and Aquarium. It was pretty nice, but just your average zoo and aquarium. This morning, we went to the Lama Temple, and it, just like so much over here was so beautiful. We were truly amazed at the structures and all of the statues. It was absolutely awesome.

I guess that's it for now...I promise to try and get some pictures up sometime tomorrow.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hayley bayley, keep those commnets coming....i am rarely jealous of anyone or any situation, but wowie
zowie, the birds nest (no matter how hot) is the most exquisite thing i have ever seen.
love to all...have a ball! love you x0x0x0x0x0